Years ago, my newlywed husband and I adopted the first of many rescued pets, a greyhound. What an amazing creature! She brought us great joy – and much love.
I remember a time when we decided to go on a vacation to Key West. I was so excited — but also very worried about leaving our first “baby”. After all, she had grown to be a member of our family! Although we truly enjoyed our vacation, I simply couldn’t wait to get back home to her and I spent a great deal of time thinking about her and hoping she wasn’t too sad in our absence. If only she could have joined us, the vacation would have been perfect.
I know I am not alone in my love for our furry (and other) friends. According to the 2017-2018 National Pet Owners Survey conducted by the American Pet Products Association (APPA), over 60 million people own a dog, over 47 million own a cat, and 68% of U.S. households own a pet, which equates to 84.6 millions homes…that’s a lot of animal lovers! ♥
Pet owners have a millennia-long history of close relations and loyalty with our four-legged companions, and in fact, studies have even been done that show we love our dogs and cats as much as our children! For this reason, it’s easy to understand why the thought of vacationing without them would create anxiety over leaving them behind. So, in honor of #NationalPuppyDay I’ve decided to share some information that might make you and your pooch smile (and yes, I really do believe dogs — and cats — smile!)
Dog Friendly Resorts at Walt Disney World (Sorry Felines!)
Thankfully, Disney understands that dogs aren’t just pets too! As part of an ongoing pilot program, 4 of the Disney Resort hotels have designated dog-friendly accommodations, including:
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- The Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort
- Ft. Wilderness Camping Sites – Pet Friendly Loops
Upon arrival, dogs and their owners will be greeted with a complimentary Pluto’s Welcome Kit and placed in resort rooms that have easy access to outdoor walkways for exercise plus green spaces with pet relief areas.
At this time dogs are the only pets allowed, with a maximum of 2 permitted per Guest room. Disney says “Dogs are expected to be well-behaved, leashed in public areas and properly vaccinated.”
As for booking a campsite, you may request a pet-friendly loop for an additional fee per night, but please know that pets are not allowed in pop-up trailers or tents!
Are you an allergy sufferer? No worries! While certain floors or sections of these Disney Resort hotels are designated as dog-friendly, the majority of areas remain canine-free to protect Guests with allergies. Also, other than service animals, dogs are not permitted in theme parks, water parks or common areas such as restaurants, pools and recreational spaces as well.
Walt Disney World® Resort Pet Boarding/Kennels
In addition to pet-friendly accommodations, pets can stay at a charming retreat while you are off having fun in the parks. First-rate accommodations and activities cane be found at Best Friends Pet Care.
Best Friends Pet Care includes:
- 17,000 square feet of air-conditioned indoor space
- 10,000 square feet of covered outdoor runs and play areas
- 25,000-square-foot dog park
According to their website, the staff —made up of 45 highly trained pet care providers—are animal lovers, first and foremost and Best Friends Pet Care is open one hour before the theme parks open through one hour after closing. They also offer overnight accommodations! While the facility can accommodate up to 300 dogs, cats and small pets, reservations at Best Friends Pet Care are suggested.
If your travels are drawing you over to the Wizarding World at Universal Orlando for some amazing adventures, your pets are welcome there too!
Pet Friendly Resorts at Universal Orlando
Universal’s Loews Hotels are dog-and cat-friendly too! All pets receive their own gifts upon including a pet tag, bowl and a special treat to kick off their vacation. Owners receive a detailed brochure with information on hotel pet services such as the Loews Loves pets room service menu, local dog walking routes, and area pet services, including veterinarians, pet shops and groomers. Universal designated pet-friendly resorts include:
- Universal’s Hard Rock Hotel
- Loews Royal Pacific Hotel
- Universal’s Loews Sapphire Falls Resort
- Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando
Loews Hotels requests all pets to be leashed or restrained at all times in public spaces in the hotel or on the property. Also note your furry friends must be supervised at all times while in the hotel or on the property as well.
Good to know info:
- A $10 per hour “time out” fee will be assessed by Loews Hotels if a pet is left unattended and needs to be removed from a guestroom
- Guests need to display the special Loews Loves Pets “Pet In Room” sign to alert housekeeping that a pet is in residence as at Loews Hotels as they will enter a guestroom at least every 24 hours to ensure the safety and security of our guests regardless of whether a “Still Dreaming” or “Pet in Room” signs are hanging
- Pets are not allowed in food and beverage, pool or fitness center areas.
- Guests are responsible for pet waste clean-up inside the hotel and throughout the property grounds
- Loews Hotels reserves the right to remove guests whose pets are deemed noisy or disruptive
Loews will help you arrange for a local pet sitting service through the hotel’s concierge or, you can utilize Universal Orlando’s daytime kennel service for cats and dogs, where you’ll never be too far from your furry friend.
Kennels open as early as 8 am, with caring staff available until two hours after park close. Need an extended day? Your pet can stay after hours unattended until 3 am. When you’re ready to pick up your pal, simply use the phone located outside of the kennel and a Universal staff member will come by to assist you.
Kennel restrictions, dimensions and requirements include:
- First-come, first-served basis charge of $15.00* per pet, per day–no reservations required or accepted
- Dogs weighing 39 pounds and more will be boarded in our covered outdoor kennel area with fans for cooling
- Outdoor pens are 7′ x 4′ and feature secure fencing and clean cement floors for a safe environment
- Cats and dogs weighing 38 pounds and less will be boarded in air conditioned indoor kennel
- Cozy 3′ x 2 1/2′ metal kennels include a fenced front for privacy
They also recommend bringing food, blankets and toys to make your four-legged friend feel at home. While the kennel attendant will supply water and keep things clean, they also ask that you plan to return to take your pet for a walk at least once during the day. You’ll find this safe environment just minutes away from the action, so you can come back throughout the day to check on your pet, drop off snacks or just have a quick cuddle with your cutie. For more information and requirements call (407) 224-9509 or fax (407) 224-9516.
Other options are definitely available in and around the Orlando area as well.
Give your furry friend(s) some extra love today as we celebrate National Puppy Day and don’t forget to contact a Vacations with Character® Travel Professional to book your next adventure with Fido or Boo-Boo Kitty! Your furbabies will ♥ you for it! www.vacationswithcharacter.com